A vegetable alternative to chilli tacos containing almost a third of your recommended daily fibre intake (based on guidelines for adults). Jackfruit is a great meat alternative, providing a similar texture to pulled pork. As well as a high fibre content it also contains plenty of magnesium, potassium and antioxidants, all beneficial to your health.
Cook time: 30 mins
1 onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin jackfruit in water, drained
1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 pack chilli spice mix (we used Old El Paso)
4 tbsp tomato puree
1 pack of taco shells (3 per person)
2 tbsp cooking oil
Coriander to garnish (optional)
· Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat (about 2 mins). Add the onion, garlic and red pepper cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
· Add the tomato puree and spice mix and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
· Add the tinned tomatoes, half fill the tin with water, swill out the remaining tomato juice and add to the pan.
· Add the kidney beans, stir and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
· In a separate bowl, break up the jackfruit chunks and add them to the chilli.
· Cook for another 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
Brown rice and a green salad or guacamole could be added to make a heartier meal.